Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Blame it on "Big Moon"

Blame it on Big Moon

When I was in graduate school, I did some research work for a class that involved exploring cycles and patterns.  While the study at the time was for a Finance class, it introduced me to a whole broad spectrum of interest and research regarding patterns and cycles.  Most recently the “Big Moon” as it was sometimes called reminded of some of that.  Some “Big Moon” facts in case you somehow managed to miss all of the media attention it received:

-- On March 19th, 2011, there was an unusual large and bright full Moon
--This full moon was the biggest in almost 20 years as a result of the Moons own orbital
   path, which is oval in nature, brought it to its closest point to the earth
--The last full Moon so big and close to Earth occurred in March of 1993.
--It will be several years before this happens again

As with most rather periodic phenomenon the “Big Moon” event resulted in a lot of speculation in terms of what it might “trigger.”  Those who study such things seemed to be mostly of the opinion that “Big Moon” would not trigger anything out of the ordinary, except a brighter, bigger looking moon.  They may be right, but for whatever reasons, the time leading up to that event and the time following seemed to coincide with some rather dramatic world events and on a more personal level, some very unusual outbursts of anger all around me.

I grew up in a home where  “emotional” responses were talked about as being a negative thing.  I wasn’t sure what being an “emotional” person was, but I was pretty sure it was not a good thing to be one.  Consequently I worked very hard not to be one.  I was very young when I came to the conclusion that I must develop a way to hide this undesirable part of myself.  This, as it turns out,  is something that has gone on in my family for generations.  It wasn’t until I was an adult that I came to realize that I had an opportunity to finally stop this family tendency, but that is another story for another day.

People who develop these kinds of coping strategies (and I am finding there are many of us), become quite adept pretty quickly at assessing the environment around them.  We spend most of our time unconsciously assessing those around us.  You see it is more difficult to “control, contain, etc” your own response if you are blind sided by events or most importantly by other peoples unanticipated emotional outbursts.  Emails, Texting, Instant Messaging, etc.,  have made it more difficult for people like me to “read between the lines” so to speak, without the visual cues and tone inflections that we rely on to “gage the emotional weather.”  So I will often wait until I can talk to people in person and/or at least over the phone, if it is a situation that I feel requires some assessment.

I have come to understand in time that the impact of all of this for me is that I often have a way better sense of how others are feeling, than how I am feeling myself.  I spend a lot of time in what a Pink Floyd song describes as a “comfortably numb” state of being.  Humor, one of the ways I have come to rely on in helping me start to “un-numb”,  allowed me to begin joking and blaming all of these unexpected emotional outbursts of others around me on “Big Moon.”  I am not sure I really believe that “Big Moon” was to blame, but my fascination with patterns and cycles helped me enjoy the speculation. 

In my last post I spoke of working to find “humor and gratitude” as much as possible in everything.  Just a week later I was quick to find humor in the situations, as it is an old coping mechanism, but I had to remind myself to start working on the gratitude part.  That is usually much, much harder, but when I am successful, everything almost immediately becomes much easier.  A strange paradox to be sure and a definitely a part of “learning to trust the mystery” for me. 




No comments:

Post a Comment